Monday, March 28, 2011

Knitting & Crochet Blog Week: Day 1

To my loyal readers, all four of you (one of which is a personal friend, and the other three are faceless, nameless ghosts who float on by): I welcome you to my blog this week. As the banner to the right shows, I'm participating in the second annual Knitting and Crochet Blog Week! I've embarked on several other challenges in the passed several months and met all with failure. But this one I looked into and I believe (famous last words!) that this one is something I can be successful with. So without further ado, blogging every day for the next seven days on topics provided over at Eskimimi Knits.


A Tale of Two Yarns.

Part of any fibre enthusiast’s hobby is an appreciation of yarn. Choose two yarns that you have either used, are in your stash or which you yearn after and capture what it is you love or loathe about them.


I have to say my all-out favorite yarn is Caron Simply Soft. It's just about the perfect price. It's readily available (at Walmart, no less!). It's washable, sturdy and I like its selection of vibrant colors (even at Walmart). I've made many projects out of this yarn and it's pretty much my go-to fiber. I also like their spokesperson, Vickie Howell, with whom I've recently exchanged a couple toddler-related tweets. I miss seeing her show on the DIY network, though. *BIG pout*

Now my least favorite yarn has to go to the general category of "eyelash/fun fur/novelty yarn" for being a royal pain in the butt to crochet with. What makes that worse is I adore that kind of yarn and I'm constantly drawn to it despite knowing that it will ultimately sit in my stash and gather dust because I can never find the right things to do with it and it's immensely frustrating to work with.

Lastly, I pine for this gorgeous yarn. Read a little review about my attempt to obtain it:

Blue Heron -- it took 14 days and 2 emails inquiring about my order status to find out the yarn is out of stock (no indication of this status appears on their website). Further, I was unsure if all that yarn is out of stock or just the color I selected. Frankly, I would have been happy with any number of those colors, not just the one I chose. It took 2 more emails to get a refund. Note that they did NOT cover the paypal fee I incurred in the refund and so this transaction ended up costing me 1.68. I will NOT be doing business with them again, though what transpired in this transaction could hardly qualify as having done "business." And, again, the most upsetting thing is how much I wanted that yarn. I've seen it in person and it is absolutely gorgeous.

Overall grade? F.
Recommend to others? I've seen the yarn in person and it is gorgeous. However, PROCEED WITH CAUTION. You saw what happened to me. Fool me once, shame on you. They will not fool me twice, so I can't tell you if what happened to me here was a fluke. I have also seen that similar yarn is available through WEBS for much cheaper.
Using again? Absolutely not



And since the topic is yarn, have some home-dyed slow-cooker kool-aid wool. Those who follow me on Facebook have already seen this. I sure enjoyed dyeing and one of these days have to get back into that. Until tomorrow!






















2KCBWDAY1

2 comments:

venividivoom said...

The Blue Heron is gorgeous stuff now that I look at it! I can't believe they were such jerks to you!

Contessa said...

As pretty as it is in the photos, it's even prettier in person.

I'd consider buying the stuff from a local retailer if:
A) It weren't so damned expensive (and then add a mark-up on top of the prices on the website) and
B) It were available at a local retailer.

My guess? It wasn't meant to be. :p