Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Knitting & Crochet Blog Week: Day 2

So far so good! Onto day two!

Skill + 1UP

Look back over your last year of projects and compare where you are in terms of skill and knowledge of your craft to this time last year. Have you learned any new skills or forms of knitting/crochet (can you crochet cable stitches now where you didn’t even know such things existed last year? Have you recently put a foot in the tiled world of entrelac? Had you even picked up a pair of needles or crochet hook this time last year?



I don't know if this shows maturity as a crafter or if this is merely an indication of my quirky sense of humor, but I've noticed a striking similarity between sex and learning new knitting or crocheting techniques. Let's put it this way: it can be totally awkward and maybe even a little painful the first time you do it and most women have to come to accept that it's just going to be weird until they get more practice at it. So -- which topic was that last sentence about? Learning how to knit on DPNs the first time or losing your virginity? Yeah, see what I mean? You're probably wondering what on earth brought me to this epiphany. It was learning the Tunisian Purl Stitch. Seriously. :p

But seriously, folks, to answer the question: I would say I was still at beginner last year (maybe intermediate beginner?) and now a lot of the patterns I've been doing have been listed as "intermediate." I don't know if I'm necessarily executing the patterns with grace, but I'm able to complete them according to instruction-- which many people are probably coming to realize is a big problem for me.

What have I picked up since this time last year? I finally conquered my fear of the yarn over in knitting (realizing I was doing it with every stitch in crocheting) and made a pair of gloves with cables. They turned out ugly (I think it was the stripes, frankly) but the cables themselves looked awesome. What an accomplishment that was! Those gloves also marked the first time I did striping where I carried the color up the sides, another thing I was horrified to do. I also knitted my first pair of socks, when I previously had not successfully knitted in the round on either circulars or DPNs. Another accomplishment that left me feeling. . . accomplished! ;)
I learned how to Tunisian crochet in the last year, and in recent days taught myself several more Tunisian techniques. It's Tunisian that's actually what's absorbing my time right now.

I'm still waiting on the Entrelac thing despite hearing that it's far easier than it appears. I am vowing to make that one of the next things I'll conquer.

Another vow: more pictures when possible!!
Uh. . . here, have a random flower photo I took recently.



2KCBWDAY2

No comments: