Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Knitting & Crochet Blog Week: Day 3

Tidy mind, tidy stitches.
How do you keep your yarn wrangling organised? It seems like an easy to answer question at first, but in fact organisation exists on many levels. Maybe you are truly not organised at all, in which case I am personally daring you to try and photograph your stash in whatever locations you can find the individual skeins. However, if you are organised, blog about an aspect of that organisation process, whether that be a particularly neat and tidy knitting bag, a decorative display of your crochet hooks, your organised stash or your project and stash pages on Ravelry.




Stealing an image from many posts back: this is as organized as I've gotten. Not as organized as I can get. . . I have many things working against better organization, the most influencing being a lack of money. Second to that, lack of space.
The clear plastic bin in the upper left is dedicated to my yarn. There's a bag of yarny odds and ends above it. The other bins are for my beading and sewing and other assorted crafts. What you can't see in this picture is three large bags of yarn off to the right on the floor. In those bags are the cheap acrylics (Caron, some Vanna's, etc.).
I organized the clear plastic bin to hold my more expensive yarns (which can equate to "the natural fibers"). I stuck them in plastic bags in the bin hoping to ward off any buggies that might be interested in a wool feast.

Ultimately I would love to have the same kind of set-up that yarn shops have. (I tried desperately to find a photo and the few places I knew had that kind of set up no longer have pictures of it. Of course.) But those who've been to a LYS know what I'm talking about: those little square cubby-hole style shelves split into little triangular sections with diagonal dividers.
I've seen just the shelving sell for over $1,000 (seriously?!) but luckily I know someone who could make exactly what I want to the specs I need. . . And all I'd have to do is pay for the material (which isn't that expensive). Unfortunately he's a bit busy right now, so that's another strike against my pursuit for better organization.

If I had my way, my stash would be neatly shelved the way yarn stores have it. By fiber, first, and then each fiber put into a rainbow of colors. (If finances allowed, I'd have several of each color in each fiber but hahahahaha we're not independently wealthy. Yet.)

You know the character Monica, from FRIENDS? Yeah, that's me. But with yarn. And about twenty pounds. XP

What do I do with my completed projects? I try to share them here and the few social sites to which I belong. When I began blogging, the main point was to share my projects. I mostly fail at photographing, something I really need to fix (especially if I want to sell stuff online!). . . Seems kind of cruel, really, since I love photography and I take half-decent outdoor photos (of flowers and animals). But what good is life if you have nothing to work on or aspire to? ;)


2KCBWDAY3

4 comments:

venividivoom said...

yours look a lot better than mine!

Contessa said...

Mine was an absolute disaster prior to this picture, and it's still not as neat as I'd like. (Seriously anal retentive.)

TheCreepyGirl said...

My craptastic pile laughs at your organization. And then it runs to take over my house (again).

Contessa said...

@CreepyGirl Certainly your stash can't be so bad? (And, frankly, my organization laughs at its organization, which is about the saddest thing ever.) :p