Thursday, March 31, 2011

Knitting & Crochet Blog Week: Day 4

Where are they now?


Whatever happened to your __________?
Write about the fate of a past knitting project. Whether it be something that you crocheted or knitted for yourself or to give to another person. An item that lives with you or something which you sent off to charity.
There are a lot of different aspects to look at when looking back at a knitting project and it can make for interesting blogging, as much of the time we blog about items recently completed, new and freshly completed. It is not so often that we look back at what has happened to these items after they have been around for a while.
How has one of your past knits lived up to wear. Maybe an item has become lost. Maybe you spent weeks knitting your giant-footed dad a pair of socks in bright pink and green stripes which the then ‘lost’. If you have knit items to donate to a good cause, you could reflect on the was in which you hope that item is still doing good for it’s owner or the cause it was made to support.



This is going to be a relatively short post. There are two things that I can think of off the top of my head that would fit the "whatever happened to ____?" question.


The first is the baby blanket I mentioned in a previous blog post. I was so excited about doing this because I figured this type of brainless project would be just the perfect thing to take with me to my knitting/crocheting meet-up group. So I took it.
I did about 3 stitches during my group time and just about pitched it back into my bag. It was the monotony that got to me. I like not having to really think about what I'm doing so I don't have to worry about messing it up, but apparently that was a little bit too little to think about! So I scrapped it.
I'm not giving up on doing an afghan/blanket but it's not going to be done that way.


The second project, also mentioned in that Feb 23 post, is my mom's scarf. I'd made tiny little mistakes here and there that once I fixed them, I couldn't even see where my error was. And then somewhere along the way, about 10 or so rows back from where I've stopped, something happened and the whole pattern kinda shifted. That is an obvious error and I know ripping back is the only way to fix it. But I'm afraid with this kind of lace, it'll rip to the point where I won't be able to pick it back up and continue.
It breaks my heart but at this point and with that particular yarn, I'm thinking a slightly less involved pattern is the way to go. I want to have this done by her birthday and at the rate it's going, even if I ripped back to the mistake and was able to fix it, I'm afraid it still won't be done by July! :'(
I should have just used the same pattern I used for my own scarf (which was made out of the same yarn but in a different color). It'll knit up faster and is an easier pattern to follow and remember. Since apparently I have problems with that. Not that the pattern I used was difficult, because it wasn't. It was just a little too involved for me to attempt while keeping an eye on the little one. I think that's where I made my mistake.


2KCBWDAY4

No comments: