Wednesday, April 27, 2011

It's not too late to WIP it


Click photo to enlarge
By now, you're familiar with this WIP, I'm sure.  Progress report:  I spent three days of the last week at my parents' place -- and since this is for my mom, it didn't go with me.  Three days I didn't get to work a single stitch on it. Add onto that: we hit the Carlsbad Flower Fields one day of the weekend and the zoo on the other weekend day.  Typically when we do stuff on the weekend, it somehow impacts my ability to work on the scarf during the week.
And then, last night out of the blue, I had a sudden bout of the have-to-draws.  Four drawings later, guilt set in for not having worked on something "due" by May 8th.  It was really starting to feel like everything conspired against getting this scarf done anytime reasonably soon.
Case in point:  Week before last, it grew 28 inches.  This last week, I only got 19 inches done.  I was planning on calling it a scarf at 50 inches, which apparently it is.  So I guess I'll finish the repeat of four rows and see how I feel about it.  I may very well have a FO this week!


Click to enlarge, but don't blame me for ensuing eye injury
Welcome to the "what-the-hell-is-that?!" show. :)  I think there comes a point in every crafter's life where something is attempted that gets filed away as a one time deal.  Take the monstrosity to the right. Please. *rimshot*  Seriously, though, lace sock pattern + variegated baby yarn = butt.ugly.
I hope it'll look better when it's actually on my foot.  However, this is the prototype I mentioned in previous posts that I've been working on while at my parents'.  And, well, it has an abundance of problems.

It feels like a great victory when I finish a round with the proper number of stitches on the proper number of needles.  The breath I hold through a round is exhaled in a whoosh.  And then I pick up the yarn and start the battle again, hoping to feel victorious in another 42 stitches.
The good news is I'm having more victories as rounds go on.  At some point, the lace is actually correct. The bad news is -- in regard to the analogy I set forth at the beginning of the prior paragraph -- I lost a great many battles.  I doubt this one is getting its mate.  I have appropriate yarn in my existing stash that shouldn't look like a puke of colors in this pattern.  And having the experience, the next sock should have a lot more right with it and a lot less wrong. :)


On the bright side (groping to find it in this case), the Ducks are out of the playoffs.  One less thing to steal away my attention from the things that truly matter: knitting!  (And drawing.) ;)


20 comments:

littleredcraftingcorner said...

It is indeed an interesting looking sock!! maybe it will be extra comfy to make up for it ;-)

Contessa said...

Thank you so much, littleredcraftingcorner, for your honesty. (I honestly smiled the way you phrased that.)

And for the grief it has given me, and the ugly that it is -- it had BETTER be super extra comfy! ;)

PandaBearofDoom said...

I bet the sock will be super comfy when its done XD

Contessa said...

@PandaBearofDoom LOL!! I guess we'll see. ;)

Kathleen said...

I know exactly what you mean about a project that seems like a series of tiny battles to get the right stitch count! I think the interaction of lace-pattern and variegated yarn is kind of interesting, actually. Down near the toe it almost looks marbellized.

And re: the octopus in my WIP Wednesday post today, the pattern is a random Squidoo find that I love---I've modified the basic make-tentacles-and-join-into-a-ring design of it in a bunch of different ways, it's so much fun to play with. You should definitely give it a try (and take lots of pictures)!

April said...

Well the sock colors are nice. =)

Contessa said...

Kathleen, thank you so much for another perspective on the sock! ♥ The yarn lends itself beautifully for the stockinette portions (and I may very well rip this out and save the yarn for a plainer sock later down the road) but I think it's battling for attention with the lace and both are losing. ;) I'm really just waiting to see how it looks on my foot.

Also, thank you SO much for sharing the pattern for the octopus!!! It looks like the perfect project for when I'm sick to death of knitting (which I anticipate will be very soon). I will be glad to share those as WIP with loads of pictures. :D

Contessa said...

LOL, thank you April! :)

JelliDonut said...

Too bad about your Ducks. I'm hoping for better things from the Avs next season. As for your socks, there is nobility in admitting defeat. Or defeet.

Contessa said...

@JelliDonut: I'm sorry about the Ducks, too. *deadpan* Oh, wait, you didn't apologize for or about them. ;)
I'm hoping for a few more choice picks in the draft this year to make up for Selanne's retirement (OMG Cam Fowler, AMAZING *cougar alert!*). . . I hope for the same for the Avs.
I'd be amazed if my favorite doesn't retire. He left his last game of the season being taunted by the ever-so-classy Predators fans. (They're just jealous he's not playing for them!)

And thank you for your comment about the sock. I try to be honest in my blog. I see so many people sharing success stories that I wondered if I was the only one struggling, you know? I tell myself they're just hiding the bad projects in a closet along with their red-headed stepchild. I'm just keeping it real! ;) (That is SO not what's going on here.)

Carole said...

I like the colours in the sock and I'm sure it will look better when it's on your foot.

Contessa said...

Thank you, Carole, for the vote of confidence. :) Check back on Friday to decide for yourself. (Not to spoil WIP Wednesday but I finished it this afternoon. . . Yay for FO Friday!)

Charlotte said...

Contessa, you aren't the only one struggling, don't worry! :) As I speak (type..?) I'm undoing all the darning up of my wrist warmer... I really should stay away from sewing.

The sock colour is... different! I'm sure when its finished and its on your foot it'll look grand :)

Vivianne said...

Well, you know, perhaps it's because it's a lace pattern you don't like it ? Cuz I think the colors are pretty. So there LOL :-P

Contessa said...

@Charlotte, I appreciate knowing I'm not alone in my struggles! Sewing is also not my friend. I've ruined perfectly nice wristers because of the sewing. Same for hats. I've gotta say, learning to knit in the round fixed that right up! (Except I still haven't done wristers that way and I really should.) As for the sock -- I've seen it on my foot. I wouldn't say it looks grand. But I think it's interesting. I don't hate it as much as I thought I would, but I'm still not wasting my time on making its match. I'm starting a fresh pair soon with a more appropriate yarn. ;)

Contessa said...

@Vivianne: I really do think it's because I used a variegated yarn ON the lace pattern. I like the yarn. I like the pattern. I don't like the two together. I think the yarn hides the pattern and makes it all. . . discombobulated. ;) And hey, I think the yarn colors are pretty, too. I used the same yarn to make my first octopus and it's mighty cute! ♥ (So there.) :D

GirlAnachronismE said...

I'm actually really impressed at how quickly your scarf seems to be going, so I really wouldn't beat yourself up about in, I've been making mine for months and it's not even at 2 feet yet. I can't wait to see if finished.

And i would agree it is an... interesting... sock, but I bet it'll be lovely on!

Tami Klockau said...

Sadly, I thought the same thing when the Kings and Pens were eliminated. What a crappy playoffs this year, but on the bright side, hockey won't take up too much of my time now. I'll still watch it, but not religiously. You were in my neck of the wood! I used to work above the flower fields a few blocks up in Carlsbad (though live more south). Hope you had fun! They're always so beautiful.

The projects look great, yes even the lace sock. I'm sure it will look great on your foot!

Contessa said...

@GirlAnachronismE: Well thank you! :) I consider myself a relatively slow knitter and crocheter, though with the right materials I apparently pick up a little speed. Yours is going slowly -- I'm going to guess you have many other projects, a job and or the pattern is complicaated?
Thank you for your diplomatic comment on the sock. ;) I wouldn't say it looks lovely on my foot, but it's certainly -- as you said quite aptly -- interesting. :D

Contessa said...

@Tami: I like to consider myself a pessimistic optimist. ;) It's good to see many other crafters whose teams lost first round have the EXACT same reaction. (Not that I'm not sitting here in my craft cave, steepling my fingers and saying "Excellent, they're all miserable too! MUHAHAHA!") Misery loves company, right? :D Anyway, I want to watch Wings v Sharks and I REALLY want to see Vancouver sweep Preds but I don't think I'll be obsessively searching for the games on TV. I'd rather do something productive, like -- well -- everything else.

The Flower Fields were gorgeous as usual, but all DS wanted to do was stay in the playground. That's all well and good but two hours in, he was so irritable and was making my family pretty miserable, so we left. :( I'm hoping to get back this year but it probably won't happen.
And thank you for the comments on my projects! I appreciate your confidence in how the sock turned out. ♥