Sunday, April 3, 2011

Knitting & Crochet Blog Week: Day 7

Your knitting and crochet time.

Write about your typical crafting time. When it is that you are likely to craft – alone or in more social environments, when watching TV or whilst taking bus journeys. What items do you like to surround yourself with whilst you twirl your hook like a majorette’s baton or work those needles like a skilled set of samurai swords. Do you always have snacks to hand, or are you a strictly ‘no crumbs near my yarn!’ kind of knitter.




I don't get much dedicated crafting time these days. A few years ago (prior to the birth of our son) this might have bothered me but I feel I've adapted well to the environment.
When Contini was very little, the only way he would sleep was in someone's arms. So during his father's workday when he slept (in my arms or snuggled in on my lap) I would be on our recliner carefully knitting away. Sometimes literally knitting around him.
The television would be on quietly in front of me, usually on a news channel. (On weekends, it would be America's Next Top Model.)

In recent months since Contini has gotten more mobile (and no longer sleeps in my arms -- even if he did, he's so big now I couldn't knit or crochet around him), I'm really only able to knit or crochet simple projects while he's watching one of his favorite shows. This typically gets me about a half hour each day where he's really absorbed in what he's watching before he loses interest and it's up to me to entertain him.
For more complicated projects, I have to wait until he's napping or after he goes to sleep at night. Unfortunately, both times leave me very sleepy. I think it goes without saying I don't do much that's overly complicated. It doesn't end well.

As for my other main craft, jewelry making/beading, that usually also needs to wait until Contini sleeps. Too many tiny (swallowable/chokeable) items for little hands to snatch, sharp tools for stealing and getting hurt on, etc., etc.

Usually my craft time is accompanied by the television (specifically, Dinosaur Train or Mickey Mouse Clubhouse) but when I'm lucky, it's local news. I'd be just as happy (happier, actually) to knit or crochet to music if I were able. Music is the core inspiration for my oldest craft, writing. I don't think it would have the same influence over making jewelry or knitting socks, per se, but music has a certain affect on me.


And that, ladies and gentlemen, concludes Knitting & Crochet Blog Week. I'm going to go have some banana fritter waffles to celebrate that I managed to finish something I started (without screwing up)!!!

2KCBWDAY7

2 comments:

JelliDonut said...

Cool! Somebody else who admits to watching America's Next Top Model! Knit on!

Contessa said...

I'm not sure if ANTM should be classified as one of my guilty pleasures. . . Hubby watches it too when I have it on!
One of the stations plays marathons and the second I hit that station while flipping channels, I know the rest of my day is done-for. Once I start watching, I can't stop until it's off the air. ;)