Wednesday, April 13, 2011

When a problem comes along, you must WIP it

(I estimate I have about ten more weeks of being able to use lyrics from Devo to title Work In Progress Wednesday posts.  Let's see if I'm right.)

Remember this photo? You should if you've been reading along since Knitting and Crochet Blog Week (or from before then).  This is called photographic recycling: it's the third time I've used this picture in my blog.  Unless something unforeseen happens, it'll be the last time you see it.  (Thank goodness, right?)

So here is the scarf I was making for my mother as a gift.  I'd like to start here by saying I hate making scarves. I do it more often than you would think because I do, in fact, hate making them so much. Several inches north of where this photo was taken, I completely screwed up on the pattern.  I suppose I could have fixed it had I really tried, had I the patience, had I the experience.
But I didn't try.  I don't have the patience, nor the experience.  I could have taken it to the more experienced in my knitting group but I hate asking for help.  Plus, you know, I apparently don't go anymore. >:-(

My friends, the photo that you see to the right is what defeat looks like.  After wasting about a month bemoaning how I screwed up on the previous incarnation of scarf, I finally broke down and ripped it all out.  I sat with a partially rewound ball of Vanna's Glamour yarn in Blue Sapphire for a week or so before finally starting over.  This time with a much simpler YO lace pattern I'd successfully knitted in the past.  I'm now hoping to get this done in time for Mother's Day.  Here in the photo (taken yesterday), the new scarf is a day old and three and a half inches long.  Since the photo was taken, it's grown almost six inches.  I'm pleased with my progress as I've yet to mess it up and I feel I'm knitting it fairly quickly.
Oh, I added a couple numbers to the photo.  This was taken on our kitchen table which currently is not used for eating but for storing.  Domestic Goddess Fail.  At #1: a sign that renaissance faire season is here (childrens sunscreen in a stick).  At #2: an indication of how much I've been writing lately (spiral bound notebook and a fabric pen holder sitting just on top of it).

I highly doubt I will have a finished object (in terms of scarf) to share this Friday.  In fact, I worry about how coherent I will be since NHL playoffs start for my boys tonight and we're making a concerted effort to follow at least two of the other match-ups for Western Conference in addition to Anaheim Ducks vs Nashville Predators.
*Deep breath*  Must. . .  remain. . .  calm. . .


15 comments:

Katiemckinna said...

Hey, I think the scarf is going to be really pretty when it's done. It's hard to rip stuff out. Last year, I started one scarf over about 11 times! -- I would never do that again!

Contessa said...

Oh, thank you! :) I used the simple pattern in a scarf for myself with Vanna's Glamour (it was in their "topaz" color) and I had so many compliments on it -- including from my mother. So I purchased the sapphire with the intent of making a duplicate in a different color, except I got sidetracked by a more difficult, fancier pattern. Silly me.
Serious respect for your patience to start something over 11 times!!! WOW!
*I* fail on the more complicated lace just once and then switch to something else. (Though I think the more complicated pattern in this yarn would make unbelievably beautiful sleeves -- which I want to do someday when I grow up.) ;)

The Earl said...

I wouldn't call ripping it out a "failure." You're just... "going in a different direction," designwise.

Contessa said...

You're too sweet. Am I picking up different options too? (Oh, yeah, I guess I am.) :p

Affiknitty said...

Wishing I could click "Agree" on the previous comment. Personally I think ripping out and re-knitting is its own kind of success. You'll get there, and it will be lovely!

Contessa said...

@Affiknitty That was my hubby, actually, with such a wonderfully affirming post. I wish I had "agree" buttons on my blog -- but I can definitely make sure he sees your comment. Thank you so much! :)

The Earl said...

Um, how else can I say it? "Your current project is being let go." "Your difficulty level's being downsized." "You're part of an outplacement." "We're going in a different direction." "We're not picking up your option." Take your pick. I got more.

Contessa said...

@Earl: You're lucky I know you're quoting The Emperor's New Groove. (I know I started it.) I got upset about "difficulty level's being downsized" before I realized just how accurately that describes what I did. Plus it's funny. ♥

Karen said...

The scarf will be lovely. I know that feeling of the never ending scarf too well myself.
Eat at the table in the kitchen? We use ours for storage too and dine at the coffee table most nights.

Contessa said...

Thank you, Karen! :) Scarves seem like thankless projects. . . Projects that should be fast and easy and typically end up being neither (at least, in my case). :p
I'm glad to hear we're not the only ones who don't eat at the kitchen table. Though we'd be lucky to have a coffee table to dine on at this point (our gecko habitat is sitting on it and it's pushed up against a wall to keep our son from hurting himself on it).
Someday we will have a table to eat on. :D

The Earl said...

The floor. That is our table. ;-)

JelliDonut said...

I guess there's an upside to the Avalanche not making the playoffs--fewer diversions.

Your scarf is going to be very pretty. Congrats on persevering!

Contessa said...

@JelliDonut: It bummed me out to hear Dallas won the game you went to (I was really pulling for the Avs!). . . but yeah, I think hockey is more distracting during playoffs than it usuallly is because I'm watching non-Ducks games too. (Hey, I just popped over to the Avalanche website: is that knitted fabric in the background? AWESOME.)

And thank you for the compliment -- I hope the scarf will look nice. So far there have been very few things which I've really been proud of once I'm done with them (like the coasters I made recently) and the scarf I previously made with this pattern. That's what helped make the decision easier to rip out the original and start over.

Tami Klockau said...

Thanks for participating in WIPW! Uh oh...wait, you're a Ducks fan!? I'm a die-hard Kings fan (grew up in LA but live in San Diego now). Let's just put that past us and say that at least we both celebrate Caturday (yes, yes, I looked at your about page and actually call Saturday, Caturday in our house, too). Your project looks great. :)

Oh yes, and GO KINGS GO!

Contessa said...

@Tami: I grew up in Orange County but live in Riverside now -- so yeah, I'm a crazed Ducks fan. You'd be one of many Kings fans I'm friends with and so far I've managed to maintain our friendships. ;) I try very hard to be diplomatic about the games and so far I've been mostly successful? Of course, at this point with how our game is going (and the usual biased ref calls) I highly doubt Kings and Ducks will get to play each other this year in the playoffs.
I actually call Saturday "Caturday" off my blog, too. (I've had to explain Cheeburger speak to my parents on occasion -- that's always good for a laugh!)
Good luck to the Kings in their match-up this round. If the Ducks can't snag the cup again, it'd be nice for the other So Cal team to get it. :D