Friday, May 6, 2011

American Friday Night

It's another FO Friday!  The following two photos are my attempts at creating anticipation for the conclusion of the guessing game from Wednesday's blog update.  (I fail.)

Click photo for larger image
To the left is a photo of a pretty old FO.  I adored the yarn and I loved the pattern (this is the second set of gloves I've made with that pattern).  However, something happened where these mits came out just way too baggy.  I set them aside never to wear them, to let them gather dust.  And then in the last week, I had a flash of brilliance to frog them completely.







Click photo for larger image
And from the ashes of shame rose a beautiful new project called "octopus amigurumi."  (Stop me if you've heard this joke before: namely last FO Friday.) ;)
I think one of the best things about knitting and crocheting is the ability to create something new, something better from the grips of disaster.  It's the ultimate story of renewal, redemption, re-yarning.  Knitting and crocheting are awesome.  (The same can be said of making beaded jewelry, to be honest, but I don't know. . .  It doesn't hold the impact of frogging a completed project and creating something you like so much better with the yarn. . .)



And now, without further ado, the unveiling (click either photo for its larger image):


Of course I will tell you what that thing is but I'd love some honest opinions, as this is a Father's Day gift.

Did you recognize that this is a trilobite without my having to say so?  Because I genuinely think it looks like a beige roach.  I love it and I'm glad I made it.  I'm giving it -- but I just wanted to know if I will need to preface its presentation with "it's not a roach."  ;)

I worked off this pattern and have to say between the needles being smaller than recommended for the yarn and the slipped stitches of increasing tightness, it totally brought me back to the days of being a new knitter where I knitted so tightly I actually broke my needle tips.  Can I just say I don't miss being so uptight with something that's supposed to be relaxing?

Lastly, I have a question for those who knit and crochet.  I'm knitting or crocheting and meanwhile, I'm having to pull my own hair out from the stitches in the project.  I'm not losing an unreasonable amount of hair or anything but the two or three strands that I lose manage to go right into what I'm making!  Seriously, I'm starting to consider hair nets.  Does anybody else have this problem?
I suppose it's a good thing I'm not the cook in the family!

Come back tomorrow for my Caturday post and have a wonderful weekend. :)

13 comments:

The Earl said...

I gotta say, it looks like you photoshopped a cross "gleam" or something on the Trilo's eyes. I know it's just our kitchen lights reflecting, but kinda strange compared to the wash of light caused by the orchid sanctuary.

Contessa said...

Earl: The only thing I did was shrink the image. Didn't even crop it. Besides, you know I'm not talented enough to do anything that complicated in photoshop. :P

venividivoom said...

The trilobite is cute! Though, I have to admit, at first I thought it might be a manatee. Maybe you could go in with embroidery thread and mark off the sections on the back to make it more apparent?

Also, the octopus is really cute! I need to make myself one of them sometime soon

Contessa said...

Venividivoom: Thank you! :) Oh, but you know, if Dad mistakes it for a manatee at first, that's TOTALLY okay!!! (He loves manatees so thinking that, I have the confidence in knowing it won't flat-out disgust him.)
I think the sections on the back are fairly apparent in person - they probably got lost a little in the contrast of the photo. It's those lines down its back that were the agonizing slip stitches that got increasingly tighter and more difficult to work off the needles. Would you believe I'm considering making more? *crazy*
And you SHOULD make an octopus. . . but seriously, be careful, they breed like bunnies!!! ;)

Kathleen said...

jhasdfh A trilobite! I love trilobites!! Yours is adorable, I want to be holding him in my palm right now. What an awesome Father's Day gift. :D

And that octopus is completely perfect in that yarn, he's all...candy-coloured and amazing and his tentacles are so prettily curled. It's so cool that he was resurrected from a previous non-satisfactory project, too.

Also, it's not just you re: the hair. In fact, just as I was trying to photograph the mushrooms this morning, there was a piece of my hair poking out of the red one. It's like some kind of really annoying magnetism!

Contessa said...

Kathleen: I love trilobites, too! Thank you so much for all the compliments. :) I'm hoping my dad will like it (last year I made him a knit cactus which he thought was real before taking a closer look at it). . . He's REALLY hard to buy for so I'm thrilled to be able to do little things like these.
Frankly, the resurrected yarn octopus (who sadly was never named) is my favorite one so far.

I'm quite a bit relieved to see I'm not the only one with hair sneaking into projects!! :)

Hey, I think I remember seeing a crochet trilobite pattern in my search for the one I ended up using. . . *will have to look again* You don't knit, am I correct?

Kathleen said...

Do you have pictures of the knit cactus? I'd love to see it! I actually did a crocheted-and-felted one for a craft fair last year.

And no, I don't knit (yet, anyway...I tried to learn last year and failed, but I'm hoping to try again), but if you stumble upon the crocheted trilobite pattern, I'd love to see it! :D

Contessa said...

Kathleen: I don't have any photos of the cactus, I'm afraid. I could try to get one when we visit with my parents tomorrow but I don't want to make any promises. :p Your crochet-and-felted cactus is SUPER cute!
Don't feel bad about failing at knitting. I tried to learn and failed, put it away for several years and came back to it with more success. I was more stubborn about it the second time around and also enlisted the help of YouTube videos (and Knitty Gritty, which I recorded from TV at the time). Definitely don't give up on it. It's worth knowing, I think. :)

One of these days I ought to post a short history of how I got into yarn. . .

Contessa said...

Kathleen: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/trilobites-for-hookers <-- crocheted trilobite! I still think the knitting pattern comes out with a better looking trilobite, but you're so good with altering patterns that I suspect you could work wonders with this one. :D

Tami Klockau said...

I must say I LOVE the fact that your too baggy gloves became the octopus. So awesome! Your trilobite is adorable as well.

As far as the hair, I loose a crazy amount of hair for some reason all the time. My husband jokes that he doesn't understand why I'm not bald. LOL That being said, sometimes it get stuck in the project, but not too often. :)

Contessa said...

@Tami: Thank you so much for the compliments! I'm also glad to see another crafter with the hair problem. It makes me feel so much less alone. ;)

Hey, how did the craft show go? I'm so disappointed I couldn't get down there. . . It just wasn't in the cards for me this weekend. *pout!*

Kathleen said...

Thank you so much for the link to the triobite pattern! At least one or two of them are definitely in my future... (And also, wow, thank you for thinking I'm good with altering patterns! Seriously, that is such a cool thing to hear. :D)

I'm glad to know that you had more luck with knitting on your second go-round with it. I'm hoping that will be the case for me, too.

Contessa said...

@Kathleen: You're welcome! I thought I'd seen one or two others but maybe I'm hallucinating. Anyway, I look forward to seeing what you can do with those patterns. I'm glad to hear how much that statement meant to you. :) :)
Do you have any plans to attempt knitting again sometime soon? I bet if you're armed with some good YouTube instructional videos, you will succeed.